Be Prepared For Coastal Flooding
The Jersey Shore is particularly vulnerable to coastal flooding during hurricanes and nor'easters. The safest step to take is to evacuate to higher ground.
However, if you must shelter in place, much of the evacuation protocol applies in moving valuables and furniture to a higher floor and removing loose items, but now you, your loved ones and any pets must move to a higher floor. What is paramount is creating the conditions to endure the next few days with increased discomfort, and accepting the limited availability of rescue and medical services.
- It is recommended to keep at least 3-days of food and water. Any food you keep should be non-perishable, such as canned and dry goods (e.g., soups, cereals, protein bars);
- It may be dangerous to use a gas stove, or you may not have access to a working gas or electric one, you can use the following alternatives:
- Candle warmers
- Chafing dishes
- Fondue pots
- Camp stoves (outdoor use only)
- Charcoal grills (outdoor use only)
- If you have access to a refrigerator, be sparing in its use to help keep the cold circulating. If the temperature rises above 40°F, bacteria will thrive—rendering any refrigerated food inedible;
- Any food that has been left at room temperature for over two hours or has had contact with contaminated flood water should be discarded.
- Keep a fresh supply of bottled water of the commercial variety. If you need to use containers, use food-grade water storage containers. Avoid carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages as they will dehydrate you;
- If you run out or need to treat possibly contaminated water, boil it, chlorinate it, or use distillation methods before use.
Further tips and information can be found here.
Enduring and surviving a flood can be a harrowing experience. There’s much preparedness that is required for living in flood-prone areas. With the right information helpfully provided on Ready.gov and the FEMA sites, you can find strategies and tips, so you can direct your energies to help and comfort for your loved ones.
Once the flood waters subside, you know you can count on SERVPRO to assist with the cleanup and speed up the return to normalcy.